Although many teachers have used film in their classrooms, not many have been given the tools to teach about and through film. As a result, most students view film passively because they haven’t been taught how to view critically.
Journeys in Film offers customized professional development workshops to help teachers effectively teach with film. Educators benefit from specialized instruction to maximize our prepared curricula and learn how to integrate film into core educational standards. We offer one, two and three-day workshop options.
Please contact us to create a customized professional development workshop designed to meet the needs of your group.
Our workshops show:
- How to infuse a global perspective into the classroom with practical applications
- How to use film as a tool to engage students in active learning
- How to make math, science, social studies, and visual arts lessons come alive with film
- How to create strategies to increase parental and community involvement
Our workshops are customized for your school’s needs:
- Focus on specific disciplines (math, science, social studies, arts)
- After-school and summer-school programs
- Administrative strategies for school and district-wide integration
- Team planning for actual program implementation
Our workshops can be organized in different ways:
- Your school can co-host a workshop, bringing together participants from other local educational institutions – public, charter and independent. This enhances cohesive, cross-district learning while reducing costs to each participating institution.
- Your school can engage local businesses and community organizations who wish to support youth development, the arts or education
- Consider using Title II Professional Development dollars.
The value of the Journeys in Film Professional Development workshops goes well beyond the one-time cost: participants return to their schools armed with superior teaching tools to share with fellow educators, thereby injecting global perspectives into other classrooms. Year after year, more and more students gain global understanding as teachers discover and share new ways to expand the reach of the program.
We seek to inspire educators, school administrators, community members and home-schooling parents to use our innovative curriculum to capture the imagination and curiosity of your students.